The PMO gives a centralised view of project costs, resources, and risks; it is the centre of project implementation and ensures that the portfolio is well-managed and delivering benefits to the organisation. The Project Office Implementation Toolkit (POINT) Methodology was developed from experiences in setting up and operating several PMO’s in diverse industries. POINT covers all the aspects of the PMO and is a fail-safe way of ensuring strategic alignment of projects with the organisation’s strategy.
No two organisations have the same needs when it comes to project management, and these differences should be reflected in the way the PMO is implemented.
POINT Modular Approach
- 23 modules covering all aspects of project, program, and portfolio management offices.
- Selective implementation according to customer needs.
- Scalable to organizations of any size.
- Clear separation of analytical, design, and implementation modules.
Alignment to International Standards
Developed based on the PMI®’s PMBOK® Guide, Standard for Program Management, and Standard for Portfolio Management.
1) The first phase is the Analytical phase. These modules study the current state of the organization's project management.
2) The second is the Design phase. This module uses the information collected in the Analysis modules to design an optimal PMO for the organization.
3) The third is the Implementation phase. These modules implement the specific deliverables defined in the PMO Solution. The modules are designed to be scalable for organizations of different sizes and in different industries.
Customisation of the solution starts during the analysis phase. The first step in the POINT implementation is selecting the analyses that will be done for the specific organisation. The minimum requirement is that a process assessment must be done. Performing the additional analysis modules enhances our understanding of the business needs and are required for a better integrated PMO design.
The outputs from the analysis phase are inputs to the design phase, and the PMO solution is designed based on the results of the analysis phase.
The implementation phase follows from the PMO design. The specific functions that will be implemented may vary and are often implemented in a phased approach.
After the implementation of POINT, ProjectLink will review the process with the client every three months for the first year to assess the level of adoption, and the effectiveness of the PMO. The implementation of a PMO may lead to major changes in the way the organisation performs projects, and adjustments of the process are not uncommon.